Welcome to the Guatemala Adoptive Families Network
The Guatemala Adoptive Families Network was founded by families with children adopted from Guatemala to contribute to the well-being of all Guatemalan families and children. We initiate and support projects that help raise the standard of living for Guatemalan children and their families, that improve conditions in Guatemalan orphanages, and that promote ethical adoptions for Guatemalan children whose birth families voluntarily relinquish them, or who are otherwise
legally placed for adoption. We offer opportunities for families with children adopted from Guatemala to participate in this work and to maintain lasting connections to Guatemala and its people.
- (February 17,
2007) There has been considerable speculation as to
what will happen for Guatemalan adoptions when the US ratifies
the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption, most likely in
late 2007 or early 2008. The outcome depends on a complex intersection of US
policy, Guatemalan policy and practice, and international legal
issues. For a complete discussion with recommendations for how
adoptive families can proceed now, see our
Hague Convention information page.
- Several other useful documents are now in our
adoption information area:
- Choosing an Agency for Guatemalan Adoptions:
A primer for prospective adoptive parents on ethical and other issues in
choosing an agency and evaluating agencies' Guatemala programs and practices.
- Current Status: This page
discusses an adoption law proposal put before the Guatemalan
Congress in the fall of 2005 (consideration of this law has been
suspended at least temporarily), and the history of recent
proposals to change adoption law. It also contains general
recommendations for families in light of the possibility of
- The Guatemalan Adoption Process: An overview of the steps in the adoption process, including both "relinquishment" and "abandonment" routes, and covering referral and adoption procedures, visa issuance and travel, and escort procedures.
- Guatemala Adoption Resources: A new and extensive list of online and other resources, with topics like Online Discussion Groups, Government Web Sites, Travel, Images and Cultural Resources, General Adoption Information, Adoption Publications, and Books.
- Report from the Guatemala Stove Project (with photos)
- Get Involved! We want your help and expertise -- in building information resources for those connected to Guatemalan adoption, in membership administration, in working with partner organizations, in web site development, and many other areas. The Network is organized and run by adoptive families working together -- please join us in carrying out this effort. Details here!
Please select your area of interest:
- Mission -- Our complete mission statement.
- Material Aid -- Current material aid projects, including information on how to contribute.
- Adoption Information -- This area currently includes documents and resources on Guatemalan adoption, including an overview of the adotpion process and a resource list. Later we hope to add our comprehensive survey on Guatemalan adoption, survey results, and other related information.
- Join the Network! -- Here's a list of membership benefits, dues information, and a link to the form you need to print and mail to join the Network.
- Contacts -- Contact our board, committees, press liaison, or get our mailing address.
Our web site is under construction and we have many updates planned. Please
check back periodically for changes -- or better yet,
join the Network and we will notify you by email when
new information is available.
For general information or any item not covered above please email
us at firstname.lastname@example.org.